Corrupted overlapping pull-down menus

Timur Tabi ttabi2@ammasso.com
Sat Mar 12 00:18:00 GMT 2005

I'm seeing a problem with pull-down menus in one particular application:
Visual Slickedit 8.0, running on Red Hat Linux 9.0.

When I click on an item in the menu bar, the menu displays fine.
However, when I move the mouse over another menu item, it draws the new
menu overlapping the previous one.  In other words, it doesn't
completely erase the previous menu.

You can see a screen shot here: http://tabi.org/badmenu.gif

In this screen shot, the mouse used to be over the menu item "Project",
but then I moved it over "Build".  The corrupted menu is a combination
of the Project and Build pull-down menus.  For instance, the text
"Execute Makefile Target" belongs to the Build menu.  But the text "Open
Other Workspace" (the "Open" is hidden) belongs to the Project menu.

I do know that Slickedit is not like most other X apps, in that it
manually draws all the menus, rather than using some high-level
functions of X.  I'm not an X programmer, so I'm not sure exactly what
that means, but Slickedit is very portable, and so they've developed
their own GUI library.

I don't know exactly what version of Cygwin I'm using (how can I tell?),
but I downloaded and installed it last week, so I guess it's the most
recent.  I'm running it on Windows XP.

--
Timur Tabi
Staff Software Engineer