How can get Windows fonts to appear in Oracle Developer with Cygwin/X?

David Pelinka dpelinka@pcc.edu
Tue Oct 4 21:33:00 GMT 2005

How can I get Windows fonts to appear in an application running under Cygwin/X?

When I use Cygwin/X 1.5.18 to run the Oracle Developer 9.0.4.2 on Red Hat
3.0, I'm don't see the verdana font in the field property sheets. With
Cygwin/X, I see 25 fonts beginning with "clean" and ending with "utopia".
If I run ncdsoft PC-Xware, I see verdana in the list of 100 fonts beginning
with "@arial unicode ms" and ending with "vtspecl_normal".

Here's what I tried:
1) Expose the Windows fonts to Cygwin on the PC. I copied the windows/font
directory to the Cygwin home and ran mkfontscale, but fonts.scale ends up
with only a zero in it.
2) Point Cygwin at the fonts server running on the host. I verified that
xfs was running on the server on port 7100. From the PC, I ran Xwin.exe
-query {host} -fp {host:7100), and also xset fp+ host:7100. Neither command
worked.

Any help would be appreciated.