The right user information

Alexander J. Herrmann ping2weltall@gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 07:51:00 GMT 2006

VEGH, Janos wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to use your Win32 X server.
>The first step was perfect, I accepted all the default settings,
>I proceeded as shown in the step-by step tutorial.
>
>I successfully installed it, I have the bash (DOS) box.
>Even I can make a limited use of it, like
>
>"
>Veghj@Veghj_laptop ~
>$ ls /
>bin  cygdrive  cygwin.bat  cygwin.ico  etc  home  lib  proc  tmp  usr
>var
>"
>
>I cannot go much further, however.
>In page
>http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/configure.html#configure-cygwin-x-overview
>I see
>Cygwin/X settings are configured primarily through command-line
>parameters passed to XWin.exe. Cygwin/X comes with a file called
>startxwin.bat that launches an X Server, a terminal, and a window
>manager.
>
>The only batch file I see is
>/cygwin.bat
>
>In page
>http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting
>I see
>
>"startxwin.bat
>
>startxwin.bat - Use a MS-DOS batch file as the startup script. An
>example startxwin.bat is included in X-startup-scripts, which is
>extracted according to the instructions in the Section called Installing
>Cygwin/X in Chapter 2. Run /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.bat by
>double-clicking it in Windows Explorer.
>startxwin.sh
>
>startxwin.sh - Use an sh shell script as the startup script. An example
>startxwin.sh is included in X-startup-scripts, which is extracted
>according to the instructions in the Section called Installing Cygwin/X
>in Chapter 2. Run /usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh in a Cygwin shell:
>"
>
>However, there is no such .bat and no such .sh
>Another method here is
>
>startx - Use the standard X Window System startx script with its
>attendant ~/.xinitrc configuration file. First you need to create
>~/.xinitrc from the template in /etc/X11/xinit/:
>
>Username@CygwinHost ~
>$ cp /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc ~/.xinitrc
>
>However, in my system
>
>"
>Veghj@Veghj_laptop /etc
>$ ls
>DIR_COLORS    defaults  networks     preremove  protocols  skel
>alternatives  group     passwd       profile    services   termcap
>bash.bashrc   hosts     postinstall  profile.d  setup
>"
>
>i.e. even I do not have /etc/X11
>Also, commands like xterm, ssh do not work.
>
>What do I wrong or where can I find the right manual?
>
>Please cc me, because I am not (yet) a list member.
>Thanks for any info in advance
>
>Janos

Did you really install all the needed and not abort the installation.
You should also have a /usr/X11R6 with a lot of stuff in it like and
xterm itself is /bin/xterm
Type
which xyz
and the program or script xyz will be found when its in your path.

--
And God said"Let there be light."But then the program crashed because he was trying to access the 'light' property of a NULL universe pointer.

Alexander J. Herrmann
Analyst/Programmer
http://www.aiengine.org
Email: Ping2Weltall@Gmail.com