xterm does not find cygX11-6.dll

Charli Li KBarticle889459@aim.com
Tue Jun 20 22:50:00 GMT 2006

- -----Original Message-----

7a9b1d02f8ea57be05f5052e7fb1d6a7e3
> suggest:
>
> "8.7. cygX11-6.dll not found after installation or upgrade
> Reinstall the xorg-x11-bin-dlls package. Make sure not to reinstall any
> XFree-* packages.
> Check if /usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll does exist.
> Check if $PATH contains /usr/X11R6/bin. "
>
> I have reinstalled xorg-x11-bin-dlls. I did not reinstall any XFree
> package. Actually,
>
> $ grep -i xfree cygcheck.out
> XFree86-lib-compat      4.3.0-2
>
> The file  C:/cygwin/usr/X11R6/bin/cygX11-6.dll  exists
>
>  From the contents of   C:\cygwin\etc\profile.d\00xorg-x11-base.sh  (see
> attachment) I guess that the path should contain  /usr/X11R6/bin
> I actually do not know how to check this, since I can't open a graphic
> terminal. In a text terminal,
>
> $ printenv.exe $PATH
>
> gives no output (no PATH set).

> --------------------------------
> http://geni.ath.cx/wiki_grass.html  suggests:
>
> # Run startxwin.bat.
> # Go to c:\cygwin in IE.
> # Run cygwin.bat. Now you have a cygwin shell.
> # Type "DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 xterm&<ENTER>" in the cygwin shell. xterm
> should start.
>
> This did not work either

> --------------------------------
> I have reinstalled
>
> xorg-x11-base           6.8.2.0-1
> xorg-x11-bin            6.8.2.0-1
> xorg-x11-bin-lndir      6.8.2.0-1
>
> and it did not work
> --------------------------------
>
> Any clue? Perhaps trying to execute other programs, or having access to
> the path set after executing the x scripts, may give a better idea.
>
> Thanks
>
> Santiago

Try setting the paths BEFORE you even try to execute XWin.exe.  That just
means that you might have to tweak startxwin.* in order to get it to work
sucessfully.  I understand that the DLLs are installed in /usr/bin and
/usr/X11R6/bin, so please check the PATH in startxwin.bat in Notepad to see
if C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin is in your path, and search for /usr/X11R6/bin in
an editor (emacs, vim)

Charli