how can i change the color of xterms that connected with ssh to unix account

Meir Yanovich meiry@fts-soft.com
Thu Dec 27 07:33:00 GMT 2007

Hello and thanks for the reply
I don't have the possibility to change the remote host
I was hopping to be able to change the color of the xterm window
Every time I log in into remote host but to control it from cygwin
For example if I type :
Can it be done ?
Also I can't find the file /usr/share/doc/xterm-229/ctlseqs.txt
In my installation is there some web reference to that ?
Thanks allot

-----Original Message-----
From: cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com
[mailto:cygwin-xfree-owner@cygwin.com] On Behalf Of Phil Betts
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 8:23 PM
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: RE: how can i change the color of xterms that connected with
ssh to unix account

Meir Yanovich wrote on Wednesday, December 19, 2007 2:51 PM::

> Hello all
> Im new to cygwin and X im using the
> cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin.bat for simple x display
> for using the unix tools in windows and to connect with ssh to unix
> accounts
> now i like to be able to change the color of the xterm every time I
> connect with ssh to remote host
> can it be done ?
> Thanks

To change the xterm background to pink, use this command:
$ echo -e '\e]11;pink\007'

To do this automatically when you log in via ssh, add the following
to your .bash_profile on the remote host.

if [ ! -z "$SSH_TTY" ];then echo -e '\e]11;pink\007';fi

To ensure this only happens on interactive shells, change the first
part to:

if [[ $- == *i* ]] && [ ! -z "$SSH_TTY" ];then ...

Read the file /usr/share/doc/xterm-229/ctlseqs.txt for other escape
sequences you can use to control xterm.

Phil