Windows HWND and X Clients in multiwindow mode

Alan James Caruana ajcaruana@gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:33:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

I am trying to write a program, that when running the X Server in
multi-window mode keeps track of the association between the HWND
value that MSWindows assigns to each window that is created, and the X
Client that owns that window.

Finding X Client that owns an X Window is quite simple, but I couldn't
manage to then go a step further and find anything that binds the X
Window to the MS Window.

I tried using the devPrivates of the _Window struct, by using the
winGetWindowPriv() macro.  This gives a winPrivWinPtr variable,
pointing to a struct which has, as one of its elements, an HWND
variable.  I thought it should provide the link, but in actual fact it
did not as the HWND element was always 0 (zero). I also tried
modifying the code of the X Server and recompiled it to see if it
works there,  but the same thing happened.

So now I ask, what is it that I am missing out? I am sure it can be
done, as the X Server must be doing it somewhere, but where? and how?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

AJ Caruana