FW: How to create an icon to startx with no extra CMD.EXE window

Holger Krull holger.krull@gmx.de
Wed Apr 9 08:10:00 GMT 2008

Phil Betts schrieb:
> Thomas Dickey wrote on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 1:35 AM::

>>> I don't think I made myself clear! When I said "ugly console" I meant
>>> the cmd.exe console (possibly running bash). I think you are talking
>>> about the initial xterm. The initial xterm is not a problem. How can
>>> I start X without running cmd.exe?
>> hmm (I'm not where I can check).
>>
>> However - I recall setting up some commands which use the Windows
>> "start" command with a "/min" option.
>>

> I'm not sure you can do this (easily) using startx, because the startx
> mechanism relies on the script sticking around until the last client
> exits.  The traditional (i.e. UNIX) server start-up would run a
> window manager as a foreground task.  When the window manager exited,
> the server shut down.
>
> If you use startxwin.bat instead, this uses run.exe to start the server
> in the background.  This leaves the script free to exit, closing the
> cmd window.  You will see the cmd window until the script exits, but
> this can be useful.  If you never want to see the cmd window, you can
> create a shortcut to the script and set it to start minimized in its
> property sheet.

I use:
E:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -c -l 'run bash -c -l "CYGWIN=server Xwin.exe :0 -query 192.168.11.1 -from 192.168.11.2 -once  -dpi 120 &" '

If you don't have cygserver running you should delete CYGWIN=server, if you don't need larger fonts delete -dpi 120