Still seeking a Cygwin/X maintainer

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Sep 24 21:24:00 GMT 2008

Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
> In case someone else with the Ports' X11R7 is actually interested in
> helping to figure this out:
>

> 1) rm -f /usr/lib/libXfont.*;
> 2) build and install a static libXfont (.cygport attached);
> 3) build xorg-server-1.3.0.0 (.cygport and patch attached).  The build
> will stop during Xprint, but XWin will have already been built.  Try
> launching the resulting XWin, run xdpyinfo, and no extensions are
> available.
>

> I really need another set of eyes to figure out what I'm missing.  If
> anyone can figure out what's wrong with XWin, I'll be happy to look into
> it further.

I'd also quite like to see this working, so I took a look at this

Attached is an updated patch & cygport

* Your problem with no extensions built into the server was because
mi/miinintext.c is pulled into hw/xwin to be built, so only has HAVE_XWIN_CONFIG_H
defined, hence it was not aware that any extensions are enabled.  Fix this
and the other 2 files which are built in a similar way.  Now they are actually
pulled in we also need to fix the link line so the libs for the extensions are
linked with

* Update for the change to damage-based shadow, registering the screen bitmap as the
shadow framebuffer, so that changes actually get drawn on the display.

* Update automake files to compile and link the windows resource file

* Define XFree86Server during the build
(This is necessary to get the right visuals, otherwise they crash GLX)

* Fix the lies in the ./configure --help text about branding configuration
options, and use the proper option names in the .cygport file

* Align the extensions enabled with those in the 6.8.99 cygwin package
(minus LBX as it's been removed, plus XINERAMA,XACE as they won't turn off!)

This builds an X server which "works for me(TM)"

I had a couple of problems, but when I updated cygwin DLL from 1.5.25, to
the most recent snapshot (2008-09-15) to get debug symbols, they seem to stop
happening :S  I'm not sure what to make of that...

* "_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed", occasionally seen when
a new client tries to connect
* -multiwindow mode seems to deadlock randomly

Other problems

* GLX seems a bit flaky, e.g. crashes if you run glxgears, then occlude and
reveal that with a native windows window, but that doesn't seem to be a
regression against 6.8.99

* You might need to patch render.h to include <X11/X.h> to build