xorg server 1.3.0 (was Re: Still seeking a Cygwin/X maintainer)

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Sep 30 20:47:00 GMT 2008

Jon TURNEY wrote:
> Yaakov (Cygwin Ports) wrote:
>> I really need another set of eyes to figure out what I'm missing.  If
>> anyone can figure out what's wrong with XWin, I'll be happy to look into
>> it further.
>
> I'd also quite like to see this working, so I took a look at this
>
> Attached is an updated patch & cygport
>
> I had a couple of problems, but when I updated cygwin DLL from 1.5.25, to
> the most recent snapshot (2008-09-15) to get debug symbols, they seem to
> stop happening :S  I'm not sure what to make of that...
>
> * "_XSERVTransSocketUNIXAccept: accept() failed", occasionally seen when
> a new client tries to connect
> * -multiwindow mode seems to deadlock randomly

These problems seem to be caused by the "smart scheduler" in the X server
being enabled (which it was not in 6.8.99), which causes a SIGALRM every 20ms,
which doesn't seem to work reliably.  Disabling this and using the dumb
scheduler works fine.

If you like living dangerously, you can point your setup.exe at
http://www.dronecode.org.uk/cygwin, where I've uploaded a package containing
the server.

The package has no install dependencies specified at the moment: from Cygports
you'll need libX11_6, libXau6, libXdmcp7, libfontenc1, libfreetype26 runtimes,
and xorg-fonts-misc-misc and xorg-font-cursor-misc fonts to start the server.

You'll probably want some clients as well. Note that some X things in cygports
have a dependency on the 6.8.99 server, but this should not be a problem since
that is installed as /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe, not /usr/bin/XWin.exe

I'd really like some feedback if this works for anyone else :-)

Known problems are:
Clipboard integration is broken
Window names are always shown as "Cygwin/X"