Background processes with Cygwin

Peter Farley pjfarley3@yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 01:50:00 GMT 2009

--- On Fri, 4/3/09, Jeff Irwin <jeffrosquad@hotmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jeff Irwin <jeffrosquad@hotmail.com>
> Subject: Background processes with Cygwin
> To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
> Date: Friday, April 3, 2009, 2:48 PM
<Snipped>
> The window will stay up for a few minutes and then go away
> and the script that was running is now dead.
>
> I am not an expert by any means so any help regardless of
> elementary is appreciated.  I know I am not the first
> squirrel to try to crack this nut so I figured I would toss
> this out in hopes some “big brain” would take notice and
> pity.

PMFJI here, but if you log out of Cygwin, then the Cygwin process terminates.  Why would you think that a process started under Cygwin could survive the termination of Cygwin?  That just doesn't make sense, even to this raw newbie.  Among other things, the whole *ix environment that Cygwin provides would be gone, so how could your process possibly continue?  This isn't "real" *ix, it's *ix facilities provided under the control of another quite different (and generally more hostile) OS environment.

Maybe I'm missing something crucial in my understanding of how Cygwin and Windows operate.  If so, I'd appreciate a cure for my ignorance.

Peter