Updated: nedit-5.5-4

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Jan 2 20:54:00 GMT 2009

David Monksfield wrote:
>> The following package was updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>> *** nedit-5.5-4
>>
>> This release includes a patch for proper operation with X11R7.4.
>
> Since the X server update, some NEdit windows won't resize any more.
> I can't grab a corner, and the 'Resize' option in the window menu is greyed-out.
>
> Examples include the 'Find...' and Replace...' dialogs and, more importantly,
> the output from 'Shell' menu items that have their command output set to 'dialog'.
> I use this a lot, e.g. I have one for 'cvs diff'. The size of the output can vary
> enormously, so it's important to be able to resize the dialog.
>
> This definitely worked prior to the X11R7.4 upgrade.

This is an interesting regression, and doesn't appear to be nedit-specific...
I'd also noticed some windows which should be resizeable aren't (e.g. pidgin
plugin configuration dialogs)

Some code from Xming has been added to the X server's built in window manager
so it doesn't give the WS_SIZEBOX style (a frame you can grab to resize to the
window) to any window which is a child of a parent (has the _WM_TRANSIENT_FOR
property).

I looked for, but don't see any code to look at _WM_NORMAL_HINTS to determine
if the window is not re-sizeable (minsize = maxsize?) and if not, remove
styles WS_SIZEBOX (and WS_MAXIMIZEBOX style to avoid maximization as seen in
[1]) (Hmm... perhaps WS_MAXIMIZEBOX should also be removed if the hint
PMaxSize is set?)

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2008-12/msg00143.html