configure error in X build - cpp requires -undef

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Jan 13 17:04:00 GMT 2009

Tom George wrote:
> I am trying to build the Cygwin/X following the instructions in the
> Cygwin/X Contributors Guide.
>
> When I run
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr
>
> the last few lines of output are:
> checking if /usr/bin/cpp requires -undef... configure: error:
> /usr/bin/cpp defines unix with or without -undef.  I don't know what to do.
>
> Any help to get past this would be greatly appreciated.

This means that the X server source you are building didn't have it's
./configure generated with xorg-util-macros with a patch needed for cygwin [1]

The X server source package available via cygwin setup shouldn't have this
problem.  What source are you using?

[1]
http://cygwin-ports.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cygwin-ports/ports/trunk/xorg/xorg-util-macros/1.1-cpp-undef.patch?view=markup