Windows 7 RC1 and Cygwin 1.7

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jun 8 22:13:00 GMT 2009

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 15/05/2009 15:13, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> I have installed Windows 7 RC1 (64-bit) as well as Cygwin 1.7,
>> including the Xorg stuff in the Cygwin setup-1.7.exe file
>
> Same here.  I have also noticed the following issues:
>
> 1) In multiwindow mode, all X programs are considered as one wrt taskbar
> buttons.  Nothing really new there, but it's more noticeable now that
> the default is "Always combine, hide labels".  When combined, the icon
> shown is that of the first program launched, which is obviously
> inaccurate if several different X programs are running.
>
> If a windowed X server is launched, it shows as one window with the X
> icon (as expected), which will be grouped together with X programs
> running multiwindow on a different DISPLAY.  Pinning that X icon to the
> taskbar has the same effect.
>
> It would be preferable to force ungrouping (or grouping by program in
> multiwindow, if possible), but if that's not possible, the X icon should
> represent the group no matter which program launched first.

It doesn't seem to be clearly documented how the taskbar makes these
decisions: if it's based on the executable, the window class or name or some
hints associated with it.  It would be neat if we could set things up so that
the X windows group in the same way as native windows, but I'm not aware of a
way to do that...

The shell interface ITaskbarList() seems completely inadequate for this purpose.

> 2) It would be nice to port the tray icon menu to the new Jump List.
>
> 3) With Aero in multiwindow, fbpanel (in Ports) has a large border
> around the panel.  IIRC there was a slight border in XP, but it's much
> larger and more noticeable with Aero.
>
> 4) In multiwindow, if two programs overlap, then Aero Peek will show the
> correct shape for each window but the contents of one window
> superimposed on the other in their stacking order.

Yes, I've seen the same behaviour with the TaskSwitchXP alt+tab replacement.
This is a consequence of the way multiwindow mode is currently implemented:
everything is drawn onto a shadow framebuffer, and then areas from that are
drawn into native windows when they are exposed.  This means that we can only
correctly draw the contents of the X window at the top of the Z-order stack
(as this may be occluding other X windows).  There are probably solutions to this.