Font change in Gnu emacs/X11 following upgrade

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Apr 29 21:21:00 GMT 2010

On 4/29/2010 3:16 PM, Marc Girod wrote:

> Ken Brown-6 wrote:
>>
>> [This should have gone to the cygwin-xfree list.  I've set the reply-to
>> accordingly.]
>> This is a result of the change in the default server DPI announced in
>>
>>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree-announce/2010-04/msg00000.html
>>
>> As the announcement states, you may want to set Xft.dpi in your
>> ~/.Xdefaults.  Setting it to 75 will restore the previous font and frame
>> sizes in emacs under X11.
>>
> I repost, since nabble didn't obey the reply-to.
>
> Sounds simple and clear, but I do it, and get the same result...?
>
> 2009>  ll ~/.Xdefaults
> -rw-r--r-- 1 emagiro EEI-ATusers 12 2010-04-29 19:18
> /home/emagiro/.Xdefaults
> 2009>  cat ~/.Xdefaults
> Xft.dpi: 75
>
> I tried a smaller value (50), but no effect.

I'm sorry, I had forgotten that I've been using a GTK+ build of emacs,
which I'm testing in preparation for the upcoming release of emacs 23.2.
  My advice works for that build, but not for the current emacs-X11
package, which was built with Xaw.

What if you just use a smaller font, for instance by putting the
following in your ~/.Xdefaults:

   Emacs.font:  Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-9

Ken