SIGSEGV in xorg-1.8.2.0 during -resize operation

Ryan Johnson ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 9 21:15:00 GMT 2010

  Hi all,

I was overjoyed to see that the release notes for the new X server
release mention support for resizing the X desktop with the windows desktop.

Unfortunately, it didn't work :(

I modified the xwin windows shortcut to run as follows:
> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe
> -- -resize

Then started the server at 1920x1200x32bpp while my ThinkPad was
attached to an external LCD.

When I detached the monitor to leave the office, X disappeared with
signal 11 (log attached). Oddly, the log file didn't mention -resize as
an argument to XWin, but it did attempt to resize so I assume the
feature was active.

Note that, for reasons I've never understood, ThinkPad's resolution
switching utility always switches through 3-4 resolutions on its way to
a new setting; that might have something to do with the problem. The
final resolution should have been 1400x1050x16bpp.

I'm also attaching cygcheck's output and the .stackdump file in case
they are helpful.

Thoughts?
Ryan