SIGSEGV in xorg-1.8.2.0 during -resize operation

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Aug 9 22:02:00 GMT 2010

On 09/08/2010 22:14, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> I was overjoyed to see that the release notes for the new X server release
> mention support for resizing the X desktop with the windows desktop.
>
> Unfortunately, it didn't work :(
>
> I modified the xwin windows shortcut to run as follows:
>> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -resize

You need to quote the entire command you are passing to bash after -c

i.e, try C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe
-- -resize"

> Then started the server at 1920x1200x32bpp while my ThinkPad was attached to
> an external LCD.
>
> When I detached the monitor to leave the office, X disappeared with signal 11
> (log attached). Oddly, the log file didn't mention -resize as an argument to
> XWin, but it did attempt to resize so I assume the feature was active.

There have been some reports of the X server segfaulting when the resolution
changed, prior the addition of -resize support.

This is something which also needs to be fixed.

> Note that, for reasons I've never understood, ThinkPad's resolution switching
> utility always switches through 3-4 resolutions on its way to a new setting;
> that might have something to do with the problem. The final resolution should
> have been 1400x1050x16bpp.
>
> I'm also attaching cygcheck's output and the .stackdump file in case they are
> helpful.
>
> Thoughts?

Never assume! :-)

--