SIGSEGV in xorg-1.8.2.0 during -resize operation

Ryan Johnson ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 10 05:48:00 GMT 2010

  On 8/10/2010 12:02 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 09/08/2010 22:14, Ryan Johnson wrote:
>> I was overjoyed to see that the release notes for the new X server
>> release
>> mention support for resizing the X desktop with the windows desktop.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it didn't work :(
>>
>> I modified the xwin windows shortcut to run as follows:
>>> C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe
>>> -- -resize
>
> You need to quote the entire command you are passing to bash after -c
>
> i.e, try C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c
> "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -resize"
>
>> Then started the server at 1920x1200x32bpp while my ThinkPad was
>> attached to
>> an external LCD.
>>
>> When I detached the monitor to leave the office, X disappeared with
>> signal 11
>> (log attached). Oddly, the log file didn't mention -resize as an
>> argument to
>> XWin, but it did attempt to resize so I assume the feature was active.
>
> There have been some reports of the X server segfaulting when the
> resolution changed, prior the addition of -resize support.
>
> This is something which also needs to be fixed.
Huh. So it wasn't trying to resize at all, and just seg faulted due to
existing badness?

Thanks for the heads-up about quoting... that also explains why my
attempts to set the resolution weren't working...

Ryan