screen pixel density VS startxwin.exe

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Wed Feb 3 18:11:00 GMT 2010

On 19/01/2010 14:45, Alexandre Beaugy wrote:
> For many years now, I used to set my screen pixel density to 90 pixels per
> inch, instead of the default 75 ppi, in the "startxwin.bat" file. My
> "startxwin.bat" used to be executed, then, at windows startup, to get a
> full functional Cygwin-X environment (at 90 ppi, by the way). Here is the
> commandline I did put in my "startxwin.bat" file:
>
> [...] run XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -dpi 90 [...] ^^^^^^^^
>
> Then, I recently upgraded my Cygwin-X installation from 1.5.x to 1.7.x, and
> now the "startxwin.bat" script disappeared, "replaced" by the
> "startxwin.exe" binary. That did not trouble me much. Nevertheless, I'm not
> able to set my screen pixel density anymore, or at least, I did not found
> the way (config file, commandline argument, ...) to set it again.
>
> I tried, as target of "XWin Server" shortcut: `run C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe
> /usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c /usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -dpi 90' ^^^^^^^^^^^ In
> order "to specify particular server options, append a double dash (−−) to
> the startxwin command line (after any client and arguments) followed by the
> desired server options.", as it is said in the `man 1 startxwin'.
> Nevertheless, my option seems not to reach the server arguments, because,
> the screen pixel density of my Cygwin-X session remains stuck to 75ppi (as
> `xdpyinfo' reports).

You really deserved to succeed after paying such good attention to the man-pages.

I think you will find that setting the shortcut to 'run C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe
/usr/bin/bash.exe -l -c "/usr/bin/startxwin.exe -- -dpi 90"' should succeed in
passing the dpi option down to startxwin.  Note that the quotes around the
entire command after bash's -c option, which are needed, otherwise bash will
interpret the '-- -dpi 90' as options for itself.

I think perhaps we should arrange for the shortcut to be created with these
quotation marks in place to make it a bit more obvious where to add extra options.

> I also heard about a file called "~/.xserverrc" to alter the way the
> Xserver is launched. But I did not found anything detailed about its
> content and how it shall be addressed.

.xserverrc is discussed in the xinit manpage, and while you could achieve the
same ends using that, I wouldn't recommend it, as this will also affect X
servers started via startx or xinit.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer