xterm no longer accepts keyboard input

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Mar 15 17:35:00 GMT 2010

On 13/03/2010 21:47, Bob Kline wrote:
> On 3/13/2010 1:05 PM, Bob Kline wrote:
>> I have used X under Cygwin successfully for years. Yesterday I did an
>> upgrade of my Cygwin installation and X stopped working. After
>> struggling to get things working again, I decided to just install
>> Cygwin fresh and start over. Now I can get the X server started
>> (following the instructions in the Cygwin/X User's Guide, running
>> /usr/bin/startxwin from a Cygwin shell), but xterm windows that I open
>> do not respond to keyboard input. I looked at the FAQ and found the
>> entry (3.2 I upgraded my X server and now I can't type anything into
>> any X application) which warns against using any older scripts to
>> launch X, but as noted above, I'm invoking the startxwin binary
>> directly. Any thoughts as to what could be going wrong, given that
>> this is an installation of Cygwin and X from scratch?

looking at your cygcheck.out, you have the following variables in your environment

XKEYSYMDB = '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB'
XAPPLRESDIR = '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults'
XCMSDB = '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Xcms.txt'
XNLSPATH = '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale'

These have probably been set by Microsoft Services for Unix, and as the FAQ
tries to make clear, at least XKEYSYMDB must be unset for keyboard input to
XWin to work correctly (FAQ 3.2 refers to FAQ 8.8)

We used to have something in startxwin.bat to unset this, so I guess it is a
regression that we don't do that anymore.

> Following up on my earlier post, I see that although I am able to start
> the X server if I invoke /usr/bin/startxwin directly from a Cygwin
> shell, that's not *exactly* what the FAQ was suggesting.

I'm not sure if the difficulties starting a server mean you have some other
problem as well.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer