xterm no longer accepts keyboard input

David Barr davidbarr@iname.com
Mon Mar 15 20:41:00 GMT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Jon TURNEY
<jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk> wrote:

> No.  startx and startxwin are different tools to solve different problems.
>
> I keep adding more text to [1] to clarify this, but this doesn't appear to
> help, perhaps because nobody actually reads it...
>
> [1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting

I read it.  I just don't agree with it.  These appear to be the reasons:

1) "startxwin supplies the -multiwindow  option to XWin.exe"

So does startx if you put that in the shortcut.

2) "It uses a different script to start clients (~/.startxwinrc rather
than ~/.xinitrc), because ~/.xinitrc will normally end by starting a
window manager, which would be incorrect for  ~/.startxwinrc (as it
would discover the internal window manager is already running and exit
immediately)."

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter with .xinitrc normally ends
with.  We can end it with anything that we want.  It sounds like you
can get the startxwin behavior (if that's what you really want) from
startx if you put "sh ~/.startxwinrc& while : ; do sleep 1000; done"
in your .xinitrc.

3) "startxwin exits after ~/.startxwinrc  has completed and leaves
XWin.exe running, whereas startx waits until ~/.xinitrc exits (which
is usually waiting for the window manager started by it to exit) and
then kills XWin.exe."

If you don't like the behavior of startx exiting after the .xinitrc is
complete, then why not write your .xinitrc so that it doesn't exit?

Is it really worth maintaining another program when you can get the
same behavior out of existing programs through config changes?
Additionally, the startxwin.exe program is missing the security
feature of creating a .Xauthority file.