Problems running graphic interface in a remote host

Andrew DeFaria Andrew.DeFaria@tellabs.com
Fri Jul 22 14:10:00 GMT 2011

On 7/21/2011 10:26 AM, Jack wrote:
> On 2011.07.21 13:10, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 07:06:06AM -0700, Ciro wrote:
>> >
>> >Hi, I posted this issue in the Cygwin forum and was advised to post
>> it here:
>> >
>> >I've installed the new Gygwin set in my computer and I can't seem to
>> start
>> >any graphic interface in a remote host, for instance:
>> >
>> >(C)SUMFO$ xclock &
>> >[1]     973
>> >(C)SUMFO$ Xlib: connection to "xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0" refused by server
>> >Xlib: No protocol specified
>> >
>> >Error: Can't open display: xx.xxx.xx.xxx:0.0
>> >
>> >[1] +  Done(1)                 xclock &
>> >

>> >The DISPLAY variable is fine, I've enabled X11 forwarding (I've
>> tried also
>> >without enabling this option):
>> >
>> >ForwardX11 yes
> Where did you enable this?  Have you enabled forwarding on both ends
> of the connection?  How did you get to the remote host?  Have you
> tried "ssh -Y" or "ssh -X" ?
I've also seen that if DISPLAY was not set before you ssh then even ssh
-X will not work. After you ssh -X to remote host, what does $DISPLAY
contain?

>> >but it's still failing, I've googled for this issue with cygwin but
>> couldn't
>> >find anything, any help would be appreciated
>>
>> It sounds like you need to do "xhost +" on the remote host.
> Wouldn't that be doing "xhost +" on cygwin?  It's the cygwin X server
> that's rejecting the connection.
Indeed!

>> Try googling "connection refused by server" for more information.
>>
>> This isn't a Cygwin problem.
>
> --

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Taxation with representation isn't so hot, either!