XTerm metaSendsEscape not working

Jesse Ziser ziser@arlut.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 9 23:25:00 GMT 2011

Hello,

I find that adding the following:

  XTerm*vt100.metaSendsEscape: true
  XTerm*vt100.altSendsEscape: true
  XTerm*vt100.eightBitInput: false

to my .Xdefaults does not seem to change the way XTerm behaves WRT
meta-key handling.  It still sends 0xF7 for meta-W, for example (or the
UTF-8 equivalent, depending on how I set LANG in the environment).

I've also tried this:

  XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
  XTerm*altSendsEscape: true
  XTerm*eightBitInput: false

to no avail.  However, adding lines like the following:

  Meta <Key>W: string(0x1b) string("w") \n

to my XTerm*translations does the trick (though I would have to add a
line like this for every key on the keyboard).  The fact that this fixes
it seems to be evidence that my problem really is at the XTerm level and
not bash or readline or the X server or Windows key mappings or
something like that.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit.

Any ideas appreciated.  Thank you.