XTerm metaSendsEscape not working

Thomas Dickey dickey@his.com
Thu Nov 10 02:09:00 GMT 2011

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, Jesse Ziser wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I find that adding the following:
>
> XTerm*vt100.metaSendsEscape: true
> XTerm*vt100.altSendsEscape: true
> XTerm*vt100.eightBitInput: false
>
> to my .Xdefaults does not seem to change the way XTerm behaves WRT meta-key
> handling.  It still sends 0xF7 for meta-W, for example (or the UTF-8
> equivalent, depending on how I set LANG in the environment).
>
> I've also tried this:
>
> XTerm*metaSendsEscape: true
> XTerm*altSendsEscape: true
> XTerm*eightBitInput: false
>
> to no avail.  However, adding lines like the following:
>
> Meta <Key>W: string(0x1b) string("w") \n

well, there's more than one aspect to the problem.  xterm is looking for
whatever is used for the modifier which corresponds to the meta key. But X
doesn't have that as a standard modifier.  So xterm looks at the modifiers
and determines which one it is.  It might be the same as an Alt-key, and
it might not.  So there's altSendsEscape as a workaround for that case.

On the other hand, if there are translations using the key that xterm
finds to be the "meta" key, then xterm refrains from using it as a
modifier, unless (for example) the alwaysUseMods resource is set to true.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net