xwin.exe 1.11.4-1 segmentation fault on startup (-wgl -multiwindow)

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Fri Feb 3 16:15:00 GMT 2012

On 01/02/2012 16:26, Christian Tuma wrote:
> Thank you for your quick response and the fix. Now XWin starts without
> crashing. Attached please see the new log-file.
>
>> You don't appear to be using a graphics card driver with OpenGL
>> acceleration though, I'd be interested to which one?
>
> Good point. My system is a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 - it contains two different
> graphics systems:
>
> 1) integrated Intel HD Graphics system (driver 8.15.10.2538)
>
> 2) Nvidia Quadro 1000M (latest driver version 285.62 supporting all core
> features of OpenGL 4.2)
>
> XWin seems to "run" (or to "detect" or to "talk to") with the integrated
> Intel HD graphics system ("GDI generic") and not with the Nvidia Quadro
> 1000M. How can I change this behaviour? When starting an application within
> Windows 7 I can usually choose in the context menu which of the two
> graphics processors to use. How do I do this from within Cygwin?

Ah, interesting.

I would say it's a bug in the switchable graphics drivers that it doesn't know
that OpenGL applications should cause a switch to the non-integrated graphics.

Possibly there is some way to configure the driver to tell it that an
application is one that needs the non-integrated graphics, so it will switch.

It's not very sensible for Xwin to use the "GDI generic" GL renderer, it would
be better to fallback to the mesa software renderer, so I'll make a change to
cause that to happen.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer