X server crash when running texworks

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Mar 29 20:00:00 GMT 2012

On 3/29/2012 8:14 AM, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 28/03/2012 13:44, Ken Brown wrote:

>>> Yes, that seems to fix it. I just started texworks and compiled 6 or 7
>>> tex documents without a crash. I've never been able to do more than 1 or
>>> 2 before.
>
> Good.
>
>> I spoke too soon.  I closed texworks and was doing other things (not even
>> involving X to my knowledge), and the X server just crashed.  I'm attaching
>> XWin.0.log.
>
> Not so good :-(.  Thanks for testing it, anyway.
>
> I found a rather bad crash bug I'd introduced and fixed that, so you might
> want to try today's snapshot [1], but I'm not confident that I fixed the
> problem you saw, so a backtrace would be helpful if you still get crashes.

OK, I'm running it now and have attached gdb to it.  The good news is
that I've been running it for a couple hours with no crash, and I've
used texworks and have opened many tex files and pdf files in it without
a problem.  The bad news is that texworks becomes unresponsive and has
to be killed whenever I try to compile a tex file.  I have no idea
whether this is due to an X server problem or something completely
different.  Anyway, I'll post a backtrace if the server crashes.

In case you want to try to reproduce the current problem, start
texworks, open a tex file (such as the file test1.tex whose contents I
listed at the beginning of this thread), and click on the icon at the
left end of the toolbar (brown triangle on a green background).  This is
supposed to cause test1.tex to get compiled, but for me it just causes
texworks to become unresponsive.  This was working properly with the
previous version of the X server (until the server crashed).

After I kill texworks, `ps' shows a dbus-daemon process and a
dbus-launch process that weren't there before I started texworks, but
maybe that's to be expected.

Ken