X server crash when running texworks

Thu Mar 29 20:21:00 GMT 2012

On 2012-03-29 14:59, Ken Brown wrote:
> OK, I'm running it now and have attached gdb to it. The good news is
> that I've been running it for a couple hours with no crash, and I've
> used texworks and have opened many tex files and pdf files in it without
> a problem. The bad news is that texworks becomes unresponsive and has to
> be killed whenever I try to compile a tex file. I have no idea whether
> this is due to an X server problem or something completely different.

fork() errors?  Are there any messages on the console?

> In case you want to try to reproduce the current problem, start
> texworks, open a tex file (such as the file test1.tex whose contents I
> listed at the beginning of this thread), and click on the icon at the
> left end of the toolbar (brown triangle on a green background). This is
> supposed to cause test1.tex to get compiled, but for me it just causes
> texworks to become unresponsive. This was working properly with the
> previous version of the X server (until the server crashed).
>
> After I kill texworks, `ps' shows a dbus-daemon process and a
> dbus-launch process that weren't there before I started texworks, but
> maybe that's to be expected.

texworks uses QtDBus, so it needs a DBus session bus.  If one isn't
present (which nowadays you need for just about anything), it will start
its own instance.

If you are using multiwindow with startxwin, I strongly recommend adding
the following to the beginning of your ~/.startxwinrc:

eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax`

Yaakov