Persistent CYGWIN/X server taskbar button with urxvt in CYGWIN-64, not rxvt in CYGWIN-32. Why?

John J Ottusch 6kbnowe02@sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 10 00:03:00 GMT 2015

Thanks for the tip.

First of all, using 'strace' I determined that testing is not advisable
with the 'run.exe' executable named anything other than just 'run.exe'.
Renaming the executable to 'runX.exe' ends up being interpreted as 'run X'
and things go wrong from there.

The good news is that the version of 'run' Jon Turney provided does indeed
withhold taskbar display of the CMD window from which urxvtermX.bat is
run.

The bad news is that I have to execute the target
'C:\win64app\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\win64app\cygwin\urxvtermX.bat' twice
(or sometimes more). The first time through starts up 'Cygwin/X
Server:0.0'. The second and any subsequent times it creates a new 'urxvt'
term.

jjo