Multiple Windows

Alexander Gottwald alexander.gottwald@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Aug 14 01:14:00 GMT 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 Pavel.Rybnicek@intax.cz wrote:

> Hi Suhaib and Harold
> I find (optional) disabling of background useable, so if it is possible to
> do it without some large changes to the code, it could be good feature.
> I see (and understand :) that the second case is much harder.

Disabling the background will cause a lot of problems.
Most windowmanagers check for events when clicking on the background and
popup menus or something. These clicks must either be caught and discarded
or you'll see a GDI window, click on it and the window manager pops up a
menu or something. This is not what you want. I also expect some strange
behaviour if you see the GDI windows and have in fact another window above it.
How will you make sure, the other window will safely redraw?

I'm using the Foxus-follows-mouse option from tweakui. This works well if
the windows are managed by windows. If you add another management for windows
below the XWin window, you will have to look into this issue too, otherwise
the usage of Windows will be completely strange.

These are just some issues, but I expect there are some more which we never
thought of. I expect that the development will become a "Find odd behavoir
and build a workaround". This will create a huge xserver, which is glued
together and will break every two weeks.

bye
	ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723
 phone: +49 3725 349 80 80	mobile: +49 172 7854017