Bug in "startXwin.bat"

Larry Hall (Cygwin X) reply-to-list-only-lh-x@cygwin.com
Tue Feb 10 01:32:00 GMT 2009

Linda Walsh wrote:
> Larry Hall (Cygwin X) wrote:
>> Linda Walsh wrote:

>>> -----
>>>     Um...you sure about that?
>>>
>>>     how do you run 'mount' if you don't know what the cygdrive prefix
>>> is?
>>
>> Linda, please don't run the same thread on two different lists.  If you
>> want to talk about this here, kill the thread that you started on the
>> main list.
>
> Larry --
>     The reason I changed forums was that the TOPIC/SUBJECT changed.

This is perfectly reasonable, except you kept both threads running.

>     It went from my finding a bug in the Cygwin Xserver's
> startxwin.bat script (something appropriate for the cygwin-xfree list)
> to a more general question of how one would solve the problem
> of finding the cygwin prefix in a windows batchfile.

Actually, that's not the question you asked, though I'll concede that
this is what you meant to ask.  And I answered that on the main list.
For completeness, I'll paraphrase it here - there's no good way.

>     Just because you can't answer the question without circular
> logic is no reason to get upset.

While other statements of yours have been understandable, even if they
were in error, this one makes no sense so I won't respond to it.

216 Dalton Rd.                          (508) 429-6305 - FAX
Holliston, MA 01746